Saturday, January 23, 2010

Feed the 500!

As part of InterVarsity's Winter Retreat, we were asked to participate in Feed the 500, or a smaller version. Feed the 500 is basically a day dedicated to putting together 500 lunches for people who need them. Essentially, you're supposed to grab a lunch for someone you meet in the city who may or may not be homeless and one for yourself. The first time I heard this part of it I got really excited because we'd be doing much more than handing someone a lunch and then running off. It had more humanity in it, for me. So once you've found someone, you're supposed to have your lunch with them and have fruitful conversation! Last time, we did this, I was able to have such an awesome experience! I think after the day, I was very grateful for the day. This time, I was placed in a larger group but it was all good because we also got to bond while on our adventure. If I could share something with you, it would be that we are all people and whether or not you're a Believer or not, God loves us all so much, more than we can begin to understand. I was able to meet a man today on 168th Street. I wasn't able to understand his name when he told it to me TWICE, haha, but we still had a good conversation. He only spoke Spanish, so that allowed me to step up. I asked him if it was okay for me to pray for him and he agreed. During our conversation, he told me that he was struggling, luchando, so I just pray for people who may find themselves on the streets for whatever reason: to be warm literally, but also to be warm with God's love in their hearts. Someone said something really great to me today, it was about Haiti and how our action to aid Haiti is so limited because we're far away, but we're here in New York and we can help people HERE. That touched me.

But anyways, I thought I'd share. I'm still processing, procrastinating writing about Colombia. I'll get to it! Um, but I think I still have the "Back to the Semester Blues," so hopefully those go away.

peace and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment